How much does it cost to buy in bulk?
- Whole and half sides of pork are all sold by the hanging weight and custom processed to your specifications.
- Whole pork sides are priced at $3.75 lb. hanging weight.
- Half pork sides are priced at $4 lb. hanging weight.
- Bulk pork orders will be processed at Thompsons Meats in Floyd. They charge $0.55 per pound of hanging weight, plus $55 per whole, or $27.50 per half.
What is Hanging Weight?
Hanging weight is the weight of the pork animal after it has been field dressed but before it has been cut, packaged and frozen.
Why use the hanging measurement?
We use this weight measurement because we are not selling individual retail cuts but instead are selling by the half or whole animal. Each piece doesn't need to be weighed which is reflected in the lower cost compared to individual retail cuts.
How much on average does a whole pork side cost?
For a 250-pound hog, the approximate hanging weight would be 180 pounds, giving you a purchase price of $675. With that estimated hanging weight, basic processing fees would be $154, giving you a total purchase price of $829.
Based on typical yield of the hanging weight, you should take home about 140-150 pounds of cut pork for a final cost of approximately $5.92 per pound. Your cost is based on hanging weight and your final yield will vary due to moisture loss during dry aging and your specific cut selections.
How much on average does a half pork side cost?
For a 125-pound half of a 250-pound hog, the approximate hanging weight would be 90 pounds, giving you a purchase price of $360. With that estimated hanging weight, processing fees will be $104.50, for a total cost of $464.50. With a yield of approximately 70-75 pounds of cut pork, total cost would be $6.63 per pound.
How will my meat be packaged?
Each piece will be vacuum sealed in clear packaging and labeled with the name of the cut.
What should I expect through the whole process, from deposit to pickup?
- After placing your order online and securing your pork with the deposit, you will receive an email with a cut sheet and directions for completing the cut sheet and returning to us via email by the date provided. As you fill out your cut sheet please feel free to reach out to us with any questions you may have. If anything is unclear when we receive the cut sheets back we will contact you with questions.
- Approximately 2 weeks prior to your pick-up date, you will receive a detailed email with your final balance. This balance will NOT include the processing fees, which are paid to the processor when you pick-up your order. Final payments to C&F Farms are due prior to the pick-up date provided in the email.
- When you arrive at the processor they will accept your payment for the processing and bring your pork out to you. Make sure to bring enough coolers or boxes!
- C&F Farms accepts cash, checks, or credit cards. Final payment must be completed prior to you picking up your pork at the processor.
How much storage space do I need?
Many people ask how much freezer storage space they will need. As a general rule of thumb you should plan for 1 cubic foot of freezer space per 35-40 pounds of meat. (1 cubic foot of space is roughly the size of a full large brown grocery bag.) For example, a whole pork share final product weighs approximately 100 pounds. So you should plan for 3 cubic feet.
Disclaimer: The numbers provided in this FAQ are averages and will not be exactly the same for every share that we sell. Each animal dresses out differently and how the animal is processed to the customers request creates differences in take home yield and processing price.